Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Abundance

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. -John Muir


I truly believe this! I spent last Saturday hiking in beautiful Estes Park with my cousin. Both of us were fascinated by God's beauty; she had never been into Estes, and I had not had the time to go hiking since the Mt. Evans 14'er my freshman year. I felt so many things during those few hours. On the way up, I just had this stream of thoughts passing through my head. I had the clearest air in my lungs, a camera in hand, and no sense of anything that needed accomplishment (such as homework) except for reaching the destination, Gem Lake. When we finally reached the lake, I was able to relax and know that God is who He says He is. He will give peace, if only I ask for it. If I ask anything in His name, it shall be given mercifully. I sat on that rock by the lake and just closed my eyes. I really couldn't help but smile.


God is good all the time. There are no exceptions. I am amazed-- not at my failures, which are abundant-- but at the abundance of God's grace. Time and time again I have found myself in prayer only when I needed to be. But what does that mean? Was I only praying when I literally didn't think I could get through this semester; when hopes of finding an internship and graduating were put on hold? I certainly hope not. But irregardless, the Lord was faithful to me. He gave me hope when I had none. I have continually said this for over the past year when, last September, everything came crashing down. The demands of life took hold of me, and plunged me underwater. These daily demands were not afraid to see me fail, that was for sure, but the Lord still picked me up and carried me through the fire. That is such a beautiful image for me- imagining my Father being the One to carry me when I can't hold myself up. Just as a car won't run unless you fill it with gas, I need to be filled with the Holy Spirit. God is constantly leading me. Each day, I try to find something new. I try to change my attitude and perspective just a little more. I try to look back and see what He has done in my life, and that list is never-ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment