Saturday, June 5, 2010

Get a Clue, World

"Only those who refuse to lower their standards will reap the purest rewards." Those are the words written in Eric and Leslie Ludy's "When God Writes Your Love Story." When I began reading this book it seemed like every other book that is written concerning relationships. And while that is a dead end for me, I suppose I was open to reading the book to see what it offered. After reading through Leslie's "Sacred Singleness," I wasn't sure how I felt about this one. The best thing I have read in it so far was only a few sentences long, and it's really that only part I've been able to truly relate to. It was at the end of one of the chapters, with a little testimony of a senior in college named Jen.

"So, are you dating anyone?" may be one of the most irritating questions ever invented. "It's really had to hear that question over and over," admits Jen, "because there is so much more to who I am than a relationship. I have school, ministry, and most important, my relationship with the Lord. I hardly ever get asked about those other areas of my life; and if I do, it's only secondary to people wanting to find out about the relationship area. When the focus is so much on relationships, it's easy to start thinking that you need to have one to be considered a person. But that's not true. I am a whole person right now, even in this season of singleness." -Jen, 21

THANK YOU! Finally someone who has preached to the choir exactly what I am feeling. Why does everything always lead back to, "So I hear your brother/sister is dating someone"...wink..."How about yourself, eh?"...Smile wide. Or "Got a boyfriend or significant other?" or "How's the steamy love life coming along?" I'm pretty sure there's more in the world we could be talking about. And a relationship is not what makes me who I am. Just like Jen wrote, people this warped idea that we must be in intimate relationships to be A) happy, B) in the "in" crowd, or C) even worthy of being alive at all! And God's calling, for most, is to settle down a raise a family. But not everyone. And for some reason, I don't think the world is okay with those people. They apparently missed the memo a long time ago. But why would I ever let a relationship define who I am as a person? Why would I depend completely on another human when I have Christ? People have done us an injustice by saying that we are not worthy or welcome if we're losing in the game of love. "I am a whole person right now," Jen wrote. Yes. Now. I am a whole person, regardless of whether I am in a relationship or not. I have my focus upon the Lord. I know who I am. I know what I stand for. I refuse to compromise. Let me shout from the rooftops that I believe in God and I am in love with Him and only Him! May I be content with that. May my heart overflow for the Lord and His love, the only love which truly satisfies.

No comments:

Post a Comment